Tuesday, August 10, 2010

WORLD HUNGER! AMERICA VS. THE WORLD

SO, last week I had a lot of political items on my mind and I thought seriously about writing my thoughts down and letting everyone see. But, after having a high spirited conversation with someone last week I decided that I, yes I for those who know me, would keep my figurative mouth shut. I am so tired of defending my choices and my stances. They are mine to have, you are not going to change them and I am surely not going to change yours. That is not who I am. Just because my views differ from someone else does not mean I am going to stand in your way, shout at you, or call you names that will demean you. That is just not who I am. My opinions are mine and probably won't change. Let's all agree to disagree.



Onto other things on my mind. I am gearing up to do a 30 hour famine to raise awareness of world hunger. Let me repeat that, WORLD HUNGER. Not just other countries but, the world..that does include America. However, I do have something to say about America vs. the rest of the world hunger. These are not facts...again these are my opinions. I may not be right but this is how I feel. In American...even the poorest person/family is so much richer than any of the people who live in poverty in the world. In America we have access to government programs to help us feed our families in time of need. Yes, there are people who abuse the systems, but, these people seem to outshine the other people who are using it to get by when times are tough. I am one of those examples. Many of you know that I am a single mother...my parents have been there to help raise my son, taking care of him, making sure he got on the bus, making sure that he was where he needed to be after shool so I would not have to use hours of my vacation or work over to make up time lost. There I am thankful so much to them, but, financially...I am the provider. I have used WIC when my son was young...I used foodstamps for a time, I had medicaid for a while when he was young and when I was in school. I have gone and used a food pantry when times were tough. I have used these, because, I have access to them. The world (ie 3rd world countries) do not have the access to government programs that we here in America have. That is why organizations such World Vision and the 30 Hour Famine exist. World Vision is on the ground in 3rd world countries where poverty and nutrition are the hardest. When Hati had there earthquake World Vision was there already and within 24 hours they had shelter and food ready and up and running. 25,000 children die each day due to malnutrion, dehydration, malaria and other common causes that we do not have to deal with here in america. And yet, my heart breaks when a person cannot bear to give $5 to feed a child for 5 days. Could you feed yourself on $1 a day? Let me be honest, I could not. These children in 3rd world countries have every right to fight and to survive. One of them could be the next leader of their country, the person that cures cancer, the person that puts an end to poverty in their country. Let these children live and wonder about them when you close your eyes. I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment